Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Portraits of Arthropod



The ‘Portraits of Arthropodis a life long project that I had set up to pursue after I was awed by their myriad unseen world. They are mesmerizing and beyond what I had seen for 44 years. They were the least explored when compared to the world of the four-legged animals and the aquatic animals, primarily because they are tiny and we are not able to see them in detail unless we magnified them. Blow them up many times their sizes and we will realize they are as intriguing as the Dinosaur and as mystical as the phoenix we had never seen.


The project intends to observe and present their natural world, and with the belief that all living things are members of this home we call ‘earth’, the arthropods are treated as subjects with respect, care and understanding.
They are treated as another fellow human being, rendered in their, sometimes colourful, at times monotonous and excruciatingly cruel, natural environment.

Being true to the spirit of being natural, the photographing process did not employ artificial lighting, as in fill-in flash, setting up of their habitat nor putting them in captivity. The photographing process tends to be less intrusive, but observatory. Moreover they are neither treated as specimens nor photographed in great depth of field, but they are treated as a live model, explored in different angles, given focus on selected areas of their beauty. By diminishing the photographer’s presence, all attentions are centred at making the minute large, in so doing, perhaps wish that the audience could gain interest and better appreciation of their world. Documenting them in their moment is the greatest aspiration of the project.
I hunt for the Arthropod armed with a 100mm Macro lens, the Canon 350D initially (later with the 400D and recently the G1 with the 35mm macro) and the Monopod.



I have to keep myself light and agile in order to track down the Arthropod and lessen the body load I carry. It allows me to concentrate on the subjects better carrying simple and little equipment. Tracking in the nature reserve or the garden, I always bring along my water bottle, which keeps me hydrated. Most of the photographs are shot in Singapore and a few in Malaysia. Dragonfly

I learned the behaviour of the Libellulidae by observing them. I realized that if I stay stationary when it leaves its favourite spot, it will return to the same spot and I can than inch slowly nearer it while holding my breath or breathing slowly without making too much air movement, continue to fire my shutter. Libellulidae, like most insects, is not alarmed by the clicking of the shutter, but by sudden movement. I was glad to have been able to get so close to it.



How could I capture that beauty of a fluttering dragonfly? I always asked myself. It was not until I saw them against the setting sun that I finally found that angel-like wings flipping in the dazzles of flashing light. Yes, this made a perfect shot of that free-spirited beauty in Dragonfly. They flew against the softly blowing wind and in a seemingly happy movement, rising and descending a little, maintaining their position in the air.

In a sudden jerk it dived and clung onto the flower of the Heliconia. This is a perfect moment for me to capture it in its tussle against the gentle wind. I tried different shutter speeds and exposures, in order to achieve this image with the wings slightly blur in dashes of white; head and thorax in sharp focus emphasizing its determination and clarity of action. Somehow, it was not easy to see their struggle against the gentle wind, but we saw the beauty in the struggle.
What would life be without that little bit of struggle? What would achievement be without immense struggle? Nature is a constant struggle. In that gentle wind, the dragonfly has to flutter its wings to keep its position, otherwise it may be blown away and landed on the wrong places. I once saw an unlucky dragonfly fell into the pond, struggled and attracted the fishes. In one huge gulped the fish ate the dragonfly. A slight slack can result in its sudden death.
Dragonflies are known to be friendly towards human; they are predators that relentlessly consume flies, gnats, bees, butterflies and mosquitoes. These “Mosquito Hawk” are known to be the greatest enemies of mosquitoes. At young age, as nymphs living in the pond, they already started to feed on mosquitoes’ larva. They are fierce hunters in the air and can out maneuver their preys easily traveling between 30km/h and 60km/h, their flight are swift and more agile than those of any known birds. Their wings in its delicate structure works wonderfully in tensile stress, lifting the head, thorax and abdomen easily in split second. Dragonfly abilities to maintain flight in mid air and swoop down at its prey provided much inspiration for the helicopter invention. Igor Sikorsky, the father of helicopter, watched and drew inspiration from the Dragonfly.
We can learn from Dragonfly too, not just from its aerodynamic form but also from its strength in overcoming its weaknesses. In the tropics, the high temperature prevents the dragonfly to have long flight; flying heat up its body. Heat needs to be dissipated from underneath its wing, that explains why we see Dragonfly basking in the shade during a hot day or prolong flight, a process known as thermoregulation. This helps to reduce its temperature and balance it with the ambience temperature.

 
I watched this tired and ‘hot’ Dragonfly clung tightly onto the flower of the Heliconia. It had been flying for some time before taking that rest before me, however, the wind had become stronger and it had to constantly balance against the wind. Survival needs more than agility and skill; it needs determination. Its determination was commendable. It had to continuously change posture according to the wimp of the wind direction; angled its wings and tightening the claws helped to provide additional stability.
In this persistent struggle, it had to face another enemy, which had been silently nibbling away on the wings of this Dragonfly and it had no ways to remove it. It may die in the hand of this parasite. We could see a small insect on the left wing of this Dragonfly just next to the thorax. It was probably less than 1mm in size; it could be a minute wasp or flea. I scrutinized all the photographs I had taken and found this particular one showing it clearly. The Dragonfly needs the wings to function excellently for it to catch its prey, without it, it may just starve to death. This is Nature, many were born and many will face death.

9 comments:

  1. This article was written some time ago, which I thought it is refreshing to share it here. A lot of Flickr friends love dragonfly and a nice photo of dragonfly would garner a lot of fav and great comment. Initially I thought it would quite mundane to shoot dragonfly, as there are so many dragonfly photographs out there and plenty of them are just so terrific and gorgeous. However, later I thought hard about it and said why not. I shoot change the perspective of shooting and take it a challenge to shoot different portraitures that have element that show the unique character of dragonfly. I am always searching for that difference. I am always encouraged by Flickr friends that were there to spur me on. Thanks Friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Miguel. I will work harder on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this piece on the dragonfly. Many people believe that when a loved one passes on they send back a sign that they are still with you but in spirit. In 2001 I lost my father, he and I were very close. The day after the funeral a red dragonfly appeared on my porch and kept coming back for many days. My mother passed away 18 months later. After that the red dragonfly came back for a few days and brought with him a beautiful blue dragonfly. I have always taken it as a sign that they are still with me.

    Your work is incredible! I will spend many hours here in the future looking and learning as I go. Thank you so much for sharing it with me. When your dream of the book comes true, I want to purchase one so keep your flickr friends posted as to the progress of this dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very touching story, it reminds me of the Chinese love story, when the lover turned into butterflies after their death. Certain insects help to remind us of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With havin so much written content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright infringement?
    My website has a lot of exclusive content I've either authored myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my agreement. Do you know any solutions to help stop content from being stolen? I'd definitely appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very good tip particularly to those fresh to the
    blogosphere. Brief but very precise information… Thanks for sharing this
    one. A must read post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been surfing on-line greater than 3 hours today, but I by no means discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours. It is beautiful price enough for me. In my view, if all website owners and bloggers made excellent content as you probably did, the web will probably be a lot more helpful than ever before.

    ReplyDelete