Thursday, January 8, 2009

Who kills this Dead Ant, HSBC Trial, Singapore.


After reading Paul Arden’s ‘Whatever You Think, Think the Opposite’, I was inspired to take some dead Insects instead of those alive and kicking. ‘Photograph dead roses instead of the live roses which thousand of photographers had been photographing’ kept ringing in my ears. So I spotted the most common of all dead insect – a dead ant hanging by a silk thread swinging in the breeze.

While I was photographing, I was constantly puzzling how did he died? Am I able to investigate the death of an ant? Interesting. It could make a good detective novel, unravelling the live of the micro-world. Am I  autistic, like Mark Haddon had written? Who cares! I just want to be a kid again, pursuing the trivial.


What fly is that?
What ant is this?
What Spider is the culprit?

Who kills this Dead Ant. The Spider?, HSBC Trial, Singapore.

We had just identified the fly as ceratopogonid, thanks to Dr Brian.

Thanks to Omeuceu, we have the identity of the Ant and the spider.

The Fly
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Arthropoda
Class: Insecta
Order: Diptera
Suborder: Nematocera
Infraorder: Culicomorpha
Superfamily: Chironomoidea
Family: Ceratopogonidae
.....................................................................
The Ant
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Arthropoda
Subphylum: Hexapoda
Class: Insecta
Order: Hymenoptera
Suborder: Apocrita
Superfamily: Vespoidea
Family: Formicidae
Subfamily: Myrmicinae
.....................................................................
The Spider
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Arthropoda
Class: Arachnida
Order: Araneae
Suborder: Araneomorphae
Family: Thomisidae
Genus: Aphantochilus
O. P-Cambridge, 1870
.....................................................................
Thanks all the Flickr Friend for helping to indentify the different insects and spider, especially Omeuceu, who are always so helpful. Here is what had captured from Flickr.
omeuceu Pro User says:
ok. I know that the ant is a cephalotine - Cephalotes sp. - (Myrmicinae ant). The spider that could be the culprit is Aphantochilus sp. (there are just a few photos of this spider!!! they are very rare in the net). Aphantochilus belongs to the Thomisidae family.
omeuceu Pro User says:
to see the only 3 photos there are about this spider Aphantochilus:
see my website - Vida na Terra (Life in Earth) - www.vidanaterra.info - go to Araneae > Thmoisidae > Aphantochilus sp. (see the credits to know who takes the photo) - I have the best photo available in all net for Aphantochilus. (I never found it in flickr)
www.naturkundemuseum-karlsruhe.de/SMNK/02-For sch-I/02-05-...
www.projectamazonas.com/subpages/floraandfaun a/FloraFauna...
- to me, the page doesn´t work. :(
............................................................................................................
InSectHunter Pro User says:
I saw 2 of the photographs you had provided with the URL. The colour of Aphantochilus is much darker, compared to the one in my photographs. Does Aphantochilus has different colour? The ant is slightly more than 1 cm, could be about 1.2 cm, so that make the spider to be about 3-4 mm. It is very small, and it will be very difficult to find if he keeps stationary. The web behind him looks kind of meshed up, something I had seen quite often on wet earth and tree bark, but I never found the owner.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphantochilus
Read a little from this site above. The three known species were found in Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay.
It is possible to have Aphantochilus in South East Asia? Interesting if I found one here.
Could it be another crab spider that eat ants,
habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/guidebooks/spiders/tex t/Amyciaea_l...

No comments:

Post a Comment